WITH EFFECT FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2013 - 2014

ME 464

FUELS & COMBUSTION

(ELECTIVE - III)

Instruction                                                                                                                                                                              4      Periods per week

Duration of University Examination                                                                                                                                          3      Hours

University Examination                                                                                                                                                          75      Marks

Sessional                                                                                                                                                                               25      Marks

Unit-1

Types of fuels-solid, liquid and gaseous fuels, family of coal, origin of coal, analysis and properties of coal, action of heat on coal, oxidation of coal, hydrogenation of coal, efficient use of solid fuels, manufactured fuels, agro fuels, solid fuel handling, properties related to combustion, handling and storage.

Unit-II

Origin and classification of Petroleum, refining and other conversion processes, composition of petroleum with respect to combustion, property and testing of petroleum products, various petroleum products, Nature of Indian Crudes & Petroleum refining in India, storage and handling of liquid fuels, liquid fuels combustion equipment.

Types of gaseous fuels, Natural gases, methane from coal mine, Producer gas, water gas, blast furnace gas, LPG.

Unit-III

Stoichiometry Stoichiometry relations, theoretical air required for complete combustion, calculation of minimum amount of air required for known composition, calculation of dry flue gases if fuel composition is known, calculation of composition of fuel and excess air supplied from exhaust gas analysis, flue gas analysis (O2, CO2, NOx, SOX)

Unit-IV

Burner Design: Ignition and concept of ignition, auto ignition, temperature flame propagation, various methods of flame stabilization, Incorporation in burner design, basic features of solid, liquid and gaseous fuel burner, design consideration of different types of coal, oil and gas burners, recuperative and regenerative burners

Unit-V

Alternate Fuels for 1C Engines: Edible oils and non-edible oils for use in diesel engines, Gaseous fuels like hydrogen, CNG, LPG for use in petrol engine.

Suggested Reading:

1. 1.Sharma S P, Fuels and Combustion, Tata Me Graw Hills, New Delhi, 2000.

1. 2.Roger A, Combustion Fundamentals, Me Graw Hills, New Delhi, 2000.

1. 3.Shaha AK, Combustion Engineering & Fuel Technology, Oxford and IBH Publications, New York, 2003

1. 4.Kenneth K Kou, Principles of Combustion, Wiley & Sons Publications, New York, 2002.

Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 11:00 PMFUELS AND COMBUSTION.