WITH EFFECT FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2012 - 2013

ME 351

MACHINE DESIGN

Instruction                                             4               Periods per week

Duration of University Examination     3               Hours

University Examination                         75             Marks

Sessional                                                25             Marks

UNIT-I

Mechanical Springs: Types of springs and materials used. Design of helical springs on stress, deflection and energy considerations. Design for fluctuating loads. Concentric springs. Leaf Springs: Stresses and Deflection. Principles of Limit design. Nipping of Leaf springs.

UNIT-II

Gears: Types of gears and materials used. Standards for gear specifications. Design of Spur, Helical, Bevel and Worm Gears - Strength and Wear considerations. Types of failure of gear tooth and preventive measures.

UNIT-III

Bearings: Materials used for Bearings. Classification of Bearings. Viscosity of Lubricants. Theory of Hydrostatic and Hydrodynamic lubrication. Design of sliding contact bearings - for axial and thrust loads.

Rolling Contact Bearings: Different types of rolling element bearings and their constructional details. Static and Dynamic load carrying capacity, Load-life relationship. Design for cyclic loads.

UNIT-IV

I.C. Engine Parts : Design of piston, connecting rod and crank shafts (single throw and overhang). Design of Flywheels for I.C. Engines and presses.

UNIT-V

Theory of bending: Theory of bending of members with initial curvature - rectangular, circular and Trapezoidal sections. Design of crane Hooks, Machine flames and C-clamps.

Suggested Reading:

1. 1.M.F. Spotts, "Design of Machine Elements", Pearson Edu, 7th

Edn. 2003.

1. 2.V. B. Bhandari, "Machine Design", Tata McGraw-Hill Publ, 2010.

1. 3.P.C.Sharma & D.K. Aggarwal, "Machine Design", S.K. Kataria & Sons, 10th Edn, 2003.

1. 4.P. Kannaiah, "Machine Design", Sci- Tech Publ., 2009.

1. 5.J.E. Shigley & Charles R. Mischke, " Mechanical Engineering Design", Tata McGraw-Hill., 6th ed. 2003.
Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 10:44 PMMACHINE DESIGN.