WITH EFFECT FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2011 - 2012

EE 254                                                                       

ELECTRICAL MACHINERY - I                                  

Instruction                                               4                Periods per week

Duration of University Examination   3                Hours

University Examination                         75              Marks

Sessional                                                  25              Marks

UNIT–I

Principles of Electromechanical Energy Conversion: Energy in magnetic system – Field energy and mechanical force – Direction of mechanical force developed – Flow of energy in electro mechanical devices – Singly excited and multiply excited systems – Basic concepts of magnetically induced e.m.f. and force.

UNIT–II

D.C. Machines: Brief description of constructional features – Armature windings- simple lap and wave windings – Brush position – Classification of D. C. Machines.

D.C. Generators: Generated E.M. F. – Methods of excitation – Armature reaction – Theory of commutation – Types of Generators and their characteristics – Series and Parallel operation.

UNIT–III

D. C. Motors: Generation of Electromagnetic torque – Types of motors and their characteristics – Application of motors – Starting and speed control of D.C.Motors – testing of D.C. Motors : Losses and efficiency – Temperature rise and Swinburne’s Test – Hopkinson’s Test – Field’s Test for series motors

– Retardation test – Separation of losses.

UNIT–IV

Single phase Transformers : Constructional Features, principle of operation-ideal transformer transformer on ‘NO’ load and ‘ON’ load – Vector diagrams

– Equivalent circuit – losses – Testing – Polarity test, O. C. and S. C. tests – Sumpner’s test – regulation and efficiency – All day efficiency – Separation of losses – Excitation phenomena of Transformers.

UNIT–V

Three Phase Transformers : Three Phase Transformers Connections Y-Y, D - D, D - Y, Y- D, V- V and Scott connections.

Stepper Motors: Types of Stepper Motors – parameters – characteristics – drive circuits and applications.

Suggested Reading:

1. 1.Nagrath I. J. and Kothari D. P., Electrical Machines, Tata McGraw Hill, 1985.

1. 2.H. Cotton, Advanced Electrical Technology, Wheeler & Co., 1995.

1. 3.Kingsley Jr., Electrical Machinery, Tata McGraw
Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 09:57 PMELECTRICAL MACHINERY -I .