WITH EFFECT FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2011 - 2012

EC 221

ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING - I

(Common for EEE & IE)

Instruction                                                 4              Periods per week

Duration of University Examination    3              Hours

University Examination                          75            Marks

Sessional                                                   25            Marks

UNIT-I

Semiconductor diodes and Rectifiers : Review of semiconductor physics, p-n junction as a rectifier, v-I characteristics, temperature dependence of v-I characteristics; Breakdown of junctions-Zener and Avalanche. Single half wave, full wave, bridge rectifiers, L,C, pisection filters; Regulation and ripple characteristics.

UNIT-II

Transistors and their biasing : BJT, current components; CE, CB, CC configurations; characteristics; Transistor as an amplifiers; h-parameters; Analysis of CE, CB, CC amplifiers. Operating point, bias stability, bias stabilization circuits, Fixed bias, collector to base bias and Emitter bias.

UNIT-III

Field Effect Transistors and their biasing : Principles of V-I characteristics of JFET and MOSFETs; Depletion and enhancement modes, small signal equivalent circuit, FET and CS amplifier.

Biasing of JFET’s and MOSFETs source self bias, biasing for zero current drift, biasing against device variations, Biasing the enhancement MOSFET, Characteristics of UJT, SCR, DIAC & TRIAC.

UNIT-IV

Low frequency BJT amplifier Circuits : Cascading amplifier stages, simplified analysis for three amplifier configurations, Miller’s theorem-High input resistance transistor circuits, cascade configuration, Difference amplifier.

UNIT-V

Multistage amplifiers : Classification of amplifiers, Distortion in amplifiers, Frequency response of RC coupled amplifiers, Transformer coupled amplifiers, step response, Bandwidth of cascaded stages. Effect of emitter (source) by pass capacitor on LF response.

Suggested Reading :

1. 1.Jocob Millman & Christos C. Halkias, Electonic Devices and Circuits, McGraw Hill,3/e,2010.

1. 2.Jocob Millman & Christos C. Halkias, Integrated Electronics, McGraw Hill, 1991.

1. 3.Donald L Schilling & Charles Belove, Electronics Circuits : Discrete & Integrated, McGraw Hill International Edition, 3rd Edition, 1989.
Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 09:48 PMELECTRONIC ENGINEERING - I (Common for EEE & IE).