WITH EFFECT FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2012 - 2013

CE 355

WATER RESOURCES

ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT - I

Instruction                                             4              Periods per week

Duration of University Examination    3              Hours

University Examination                        75            Marks

Sessional                                               25            Marks

UNIT-I

Hydrology: Scope of hydrology in Civil Engineering, hydrologic cycle, rainfall, measurement of rainfall and estimation of mean rainfall over a catchment, infiltration, evaporation, runoff, factors affecting runoff, peak flow estimation, unit hydrograph method, Gumbel’s method.

Aquifers: Types aquifer parameters, steady radial flow into confined and unconfined aquifers, yield of an open well.

UNIT-II

Irrigation: Duty, delta and base period of crops, methods of irrigation, irrigation efficiencies depth of irrigation, wilting point, consumptive use, types of canals, canal sections, balancing depth of cutting, Kennedy’s and lacey’s theories, design of lined and unlined canals.

UNIT-III

Diversion head works: Components, causes of failures, difference between weir and barrage, Bligh’s creep theory, Khosla’s theory and method of independent variables, design principles of vertical drop weir.

UNIT-IV

Regulation works: Canal falls, types, design principles of trapezoidal notch fall, types of regulators, functions of cross regulator and head regulator , Cross drainage works, types, selection and design principles, types of outlets, flexibility, sensitivity and proportionality of outlets.

UNIT-V

Water resources development and Management: Types of water resources development projects, functional requirements of multipurpose projects, project formulation, project evaluation, management strategies, water management problems, systematic canal operation, Warabandhi

23 24

system, farmers’ participation in water management, integrated water management.

Suggested Reading:

1. 1.Murthy, V.S., Watershed Management - New Age International Publishers, New Delhi, 1998

1. 2.Ghanshyam Das, Hydrology and Soil Conservation Engineering,

Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi. 2000.

1. 3.Tideman E. M., Watershed Management. Omega Scientific Publishers, New Delhi. 1996.

1. 4.Subramanya, K., Engineering Hydrology, Third edition, McGraw Hill Education Publishers 2008.

1. 5.Patra, K. C., Hydrology and water resources Engineering, 2nd edition, Narosa Publishing Company -2008.

1. 6.G J Young, J C I Dooge and J C Rodda, Global Water Resources Issues, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1994.
Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 08:11 PMWater Resources Engg. And Management – I.