WITH EFFECT FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2012 - 2013

CE 303

THEORY OF STRUCTURES - I

Instruction                                             4              (Th) + 2 Tutorials

Duration of University Examination    3              Hours

University Examination                        75            Marks

Sessional                                               25            Marks

UNIT-I

Unsymmetrical bending: Review-product of inertia, transformation laws for moment of inertia, and product of inertia. Principal axes and Stresses due to unsymmetrical bending. Determination of maximum stresses in rectangular, I and Channel section.

Shear Centre: Concept and importance of shear centre shear flow and determination of shear centre of simple sections such as T sections and Channel sections with one axis of symmetry.

Indeterminacy: Static indeterminacy and Kinematic indeterminacy. Determination of Static and Kinematic indeterminacies of beams, pin jointed and rigid jointed plane frames (2D problems only).

UNIT-II

Slope deflection method: Analysis of:

1. 1)Continuous beams with and without sinking of supports;

1. 2)Single bay – single storied portal frames with and without side sway;

-             Loading on each span may be point load(s) or uniformly distributed load on whole span.

-             Sketching of shear force and bending moment diagrams.

UNIT-III

Moment Distribution Method: Analysis of:

1. 1Continuous beams with and without sinking of supports;

1. 2Single bay – single storied portal frames with and without side sway;

-             Loading on each span may be point load(s) or uniformly distributed load on whole span.

5 6

UNIT-IV

Kani’s Method: Applied to continuous beams with and without sinking of supports; and single bay single storey portal frames with and without side sway:

-             Loading on beam/portal frame shall be point load(s) and uniformly distributed load on whole span;

UNIT-V

Strain Energy: Castigliano’s theorem-I and its application to simple problems. Determination ofdisplacements using Unit Load Method for statically determinate structures such as beams, Pin jointed trusses and frames (2D problems only).

Redundant pin jointed trusses: Castigliano’s theorem-II. Analysis of plane trusses with one degree of redundancy (internal or external), Assembly and temperature effects.

Suggested Reading:

1. 1.Junarkar, S. B and Shah, Mechanics of structures, Charotar Pub. Houses, 2001.

1. 2.Praksh Rao, D. S., Structural Analysis – A Unified approach,

Universities Press, 1996.

1. 3.Punmia, B. C., Ashok K.Jain and Arun K.Jain, Strength of Materials and Theory of Structures, Laxmi Publications,2000.

1. 4.Gupta, S. P and Pandit, G. S, Theory of Structures, Tata McGraw Hill, 1999.

1. 5.Ramamrutham, S, Theory of Structures, Dhanpathi Rai Publishing Company (P) Ltd.
Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 08:02 PMTheory of Structures – I.