Duration of University Examination

University Examination

Sessional

4 Periods per week

3 Hours

75 Marks

25 Marks

UNIT-I

Static and Dynamic force analysis of Four bar and slider crank mechanisms.

Study of Dynamically Equivalent system.  Inertia forces on connecting rod.

Gyroscope: Gyroscopic couple, Gyroscopic effects in vehicles.

UNIT-II

Governors:  Classification of governors, Watt, Porter, Hartnell and Hartung governors, Controlling Force, Stability, Isochronism, Sensitivity, Power and Effort of governors.

Flywheels:  Functions, Differences between flywheel and governor.  Turning moment diagrams, flywheel analysis for I-C Engines and presses.

UNIT-III

Forces on bearings due to rotating shaft carrying several masses in several planes.  Determination of balance masses from the forces on the bearings, Shaking forces in single cylinder engine, Partial balancing of reciprocating engine.  Balancing of two cylinder locomotive engine.  Balancing of multi cylinder in line engines.  Balancing of radial engines by direct and reverse cranks method.

UNIT-IV

Vibrations of Single degree, freedom system (axial, transverse and torsional), Natural frequencies, Equivalent system of combination of springs, Stepped shaft, Whirling speed of shafts.

Damped vibrations:  Types of damping, Vibrations with viscous damping.

Forced vibrations:  Vibrating with harmonically applied force with viscous damping.  Dynamic magnifier, Resonance, Vibration isolation and Transmissibility.

UNIT-V

Torsional Vibrations of Two rotor, Three rotor and Geared systems.  Natural frequencies of two degree freedom systems.  Modes of vibration.  Approximate methods for determining natural frequencies:  Dunkerley’s method, Rayleigh’s method and Holzer’s method for multi rotor system.

Suggested Reading:

1. 1.S.S. Rattan, Theory of Machines,McGraw Hill, 1995.
  2. 2.Thomas Bevan, The Theory of Machines, CBS Publishers & Distributors.
  3. 3.John J. Uicker, Jr., Gordon R. Pennock, Joseph E. Shigley, Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Oxford University Press, 2003.
  4. 4.I.S. Rao and Gupta, Theory and Practice of Mechanical Vibrations, Prentice Hall, 1984.
  5. 5.Ghosh and Mallik, Theory of Mechanisms nd Machines, Affiliated Est-West Press, 1988.
Articles View Hits
   Tue, 11-Feb-2020, 11:48 PMDYNAMICS OF MACHINES.